The Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Quality and Productivity (SLAAQP) was founded in 1996 and was the successor to the Quality Circle Association of Sri Lanka (QCASL) which was established in 1989. Both associations were in the forefront promoting firstly quality circles and then an integrated approach to Quality and Productivity. QCASL was admitted to the International Co-ordinating Committee on Quality Circles and later the SLAAQP was the official representative. Sri Lanka had very good participation at the International Quality Circle Conventions hosted by other member countries and our biggest delegation was about 60 in 1993 to the ICQCC in Bangkok. In 1998 SLAAQP in association with the National Institute of Business Management (NIBM) hosted the International Convention (ICQCC 98) in Colombo with over 100 foreign delegates.
To nurture excellence in Quality and productivity in Sri Lanka
To make Sri Lankan products & services most competitive globally by creating quality & productivity culture in people & institutions by harnessing the core-competencies of our own members & developing and utilizing other prospective experts while bench marking best practices in the world.
- To be the National Organization for the promotion, propagation and advancement of the theory and practice of an integrated approach to the promotion of Quality, Productivity and Employee Involvement.
- To collaborate, liaise with and strengthen the activities and functions connected with the promotion, propagation and advancement of the theory and practice of Total Quality Management, Quality, Productivity and Quality Circles.
- To undertake and/or support research into the theory and practice of Quality, Productivity, Total Quality Management and Quality Circles.
- To provide a forum for all those interested and engaged in the promotion and practice of Quality, Productivity, Total Quality Management and Quality Circles to exchange experiences and gather further knowledge through meetings, discussions, seminars, study visits, workshops, conferences and conventions.
- To publish periodicals, manuals, leaflets and other material in connection with the promotion, propagation and advancement of the theory and practice of Quality, Productivity, Total Quality Management and Quality Circles.
- To provide assistance to interested organizations and individuals to implement Total Quality Management.
- To provide training in connection with launching and the operation of Total Quality Management in organizations.
- To felicitate, recognize and encourage those who have contributed significantly to the achievement of the objects of the Association.
- To act as the central clearing house of related information.
- To establish a secretariat for the promotion of the objects of the Association and the conduct of its business activities.
- To establish links and associate with national, regional and international bodies to further the Total Quality Management and Quality Circle movements.
- Generally do all such other things as may appear to be incidental and conducive to the attainment of one or more of the above objects.